Huang Tiejun, Ph.D., is a professor and the director of the Institute for Digital Media Technology, the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science, Peking University. He is also the vice director of the National Engineering Lab for Video technology of China from 2009. He was awarded as the New Century Excellent Talents by the Ministry of Education of China in 2011.
Education and Professional Experience
• 2006~now: Professor (from 2009), the School of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science, Peking University. Received the ICBC Bank Award to Peking University Faculty in 2008 and the TICO Group Award to Faculty of the School of EE&CS in 2009.
• 2011.2~8: Visiting professor of the Stanford University. Hosted by Prof. Bernd Girod, the director of the Image, Video and Multimedia Systems Group of the Department of Electrical Engineering
• 2005~now: involves in Digital Media Project (DMP) and contributes to the DMP IDP-2 specification and leads the reference software development. Became the member of Board of Director of DMP from 2007.
• 2002~2005: The deputy director, then director of the Research Center for Digital Media of the Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The associate professor the School of Information Science and Engineering. The main work there focuses on the China-US Million Book Project.
• 2002~now: co-founder of the Audio and Video Coding Standard Working group of China (short for AVS) as the secretary general. AVS was awarded the Top Ten Innovation of Information Industry in 2007, the First Prize for Contribution to Chinese National Standard of the 2007 and the First level Prize of the Chinese Institute of Electronics in 2010.
• 1999~2001: Worked on 5C (Computer, Communication, Consumer electronics, Content and Community) convergence as postdoctoral research staff of the Institute for Computing Technology in the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
• 1995~1998: Received Ph.D. Degree on Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis from Huazhong (Central China) University of Science and Technology.
• 1988~1995: Master and bachelor degree on Computer Sciences from Wuhan University of Technology.
Prof. Huang is the member of the Advisory Board of IEEE Computing Now, the Board of Director Digital Media Project, and the Editorial Board of Springer 3D Research Journal. In China, he is a council member of Chinese Institute of Electronics, the head of the China delegation of MPEG, a senior member of China Computer Federation. He is also the member of China National Standardization Theory and Methodology Standardization Technical Committee and the Multimedia subgroup of the China National Informational Technology Standardization Technical Committee.
As a key member of the organization committees, Prof. Huang served multiple conferences sponsored by IEEE and other academic organizations,
• Local Chair of the coming ISCAS 2013 (IEEE Intl. Symposium on Circuits and Systems)
• Special session Chair of the VCIP 2011 (IEEE Intl. Conf. on Visual Communications and Image Processing)
• Local Chair of the MMSP 2011 (IEEE Intl. Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing)
• Finance Chair of the ICMI-MLMI 2010 (Intl. Conf. on Multimodal Interface/Workshop on Machine Learning for Multimodal Interface)
• Finance Chair of the ACM Multimedia 2009
• Member of Intl. Programme Committee of the AXMEDIS2007 (The 3rd Intl. Conf. on Automating Production of Cross Media Content for Multi-channel Distribution)
• Member of Intl. Programme Committee of the MCAM'07 (The Intl. Workshop on Multimedia Content Analysis and Mining)
Professor Tiejun Huang’s research areas are video coding, image understanding, digital right management (DRM) and digital library. In the last ten years, as the principal investigator, he led ten research projects funded by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Natural Science Foundation, Ministry of Education of China. He involved in three cooperation projects between China and USA, Europe and Korea. He published more then one hundred peer reviewed papers and three books as author or co-author. He holds twenty-three patents in multimedia field. Prof. Huang's main academic contributions are:
1) Proposed an unsupervised General Object Recognition and Image Understanding Model and visual saliency analysis, object segmentation and semantic annotation algorithms with leading performance. Awarded the National Science and Technology Progress Level 2 Prize and the first prize of the Ministry of Education for contribution to the China-US Million Book Project.
2) Proposed a surveillance video coding standard framework with background modeling and selective difference method for foreground, which has been approved as IEEE standard 1857. The standard doubles the compression ratio of the current International Standard AVC/H.264 and almost doubles that of the upcoming HEVC (H.265) on compressing stationary surveillance video. Awarded the National Science and Technology Progress Level 2 Prize and the first level prize from Ministries for three times for the contribution to AVS (Huang is the secretary general of the AVS working group and one of the key contributors).
3) Leads the research and development of an intelligent surveillance video analysis system named as eSur which is high ranked by in the TRECVid Surveillance Event Detection Task organized by NIST and DARPA. Especially in 2012, eSur took the No.1 position by overcoming the famous joint team of Carnegie Mellon University and IBM which are believe the best worldwide on surveillance video analysis.
4) To identify the multimedia entities on the open Internet, proposed a approach named as Mediaprinting by employing and tuning the invariant visual-aural features . The multimodal videoprinting algorithm proposed by us took the first place with obvious advantage on the Content-based Copy Detection Competition of TRECVID 2010 and 2011 in 22 groups from famous universities and research organizations.
Prof. Huang published more than 100 papers on leading journals such as IEEE Computer, IJCV, IEEE T-CSVT/IP/MM, ACM Computing Survey and famous conferences. He is also the co-editors of four ISO/IEC published international standards. He holds 16 granted patents and 26 patent applications. The following is his selected publications:
 Xianguo Zhang, Tiejun Huang, Yonghong Tian, Siwei Ma, Wen Gao. Fast and Efficient Transcoding Based on Low-complexity Background Modeling and Adaptive Block Classification. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia. To appear in 2013
 Tiejun Huang, Yonghong Tian, Wen Gao, Jian Lu, Mediaprinting: Identifying Multimedia Content for Digital Rights Management, Computer, vol. 43 no. 12. pp. 28-35. Dec. 2010
 HUANG TieJun, TIAN YongHong, LI Jia, YU HaoNan. Salient region detection and segmentation for general object recognition and image understanding. SCIENCE CHINA Information Sciences. 2011.54(12): 2461-2470
 Li Jia, Tian Yonghong, Huang Tiejun, Gao Wen. Multi-Task Rank Learning for Visual Saliency Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 21(5), pp.623-636, May 2011
 Yuanning Li, Yonghong Tian, Lingyu Duan, Jingjing Yang, Tiejun Huang, Wen Gao. Sequence Multi-Labeling: A Unified Video Annotation Scheme with Spatial and Temporal Context. IEEE transaction on Multimedia, vol. 12, issue 8, pp. 814-828, Dec. 2010.
 Li J, Tian YH, Huang TJ, et al. Cost-Sensitive Rank Learning From Positive and Unlabeled Data for Visual Saliency Estimation. IEEE SIGNAL PROCESSING LETTERS Vol.17 Issue.6 P591-594 Published: JUN 2010
 Wen Gao, Yonghong Tian, Tiejun Huang, Qiang Yang, Vlogging: A Survey of Video Blogging Technology on the Web, ACM Computing Survey, vol.42, no.4, Article 15 ( 57 pages ),Jun.2010
 Jia Li, Yonghong Tian, Tiejun Huang, Wen Gao, Probabilistic Multi-Task Learning for Visual Saliency Estimation in Video, International Journal of Computer Vision, DOI 10.1007/s11263-010-0354-6
 YongHong Tian, Tiejun Huang, Wen Gao. Latent Linkage Semantic Kernels for Collective Classification of Link Data. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems, 26(3), May 2006, 269-301
 Yuanzhi Zou, Tiejun Huang, Wen Gao, Longshe Huo. H.264 Video Encryption Scheme Adaptive to DRM. IEEE Trans. Consumer Electronics. Vol.52, No.4, pp1289-1297, Nov.2006